Diffuser Stone corny keg lid first time user question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wobblybob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It should be coming within an hour or two. Those of you who have used those and are happy with them what exactly did you do, anything different than the instructions so I don’t make that mistake LOL

thanks in advance, Bob

I just bought one a month or so ago to speed up carbonating soda water. I always keep a 5 gallon keg of soda water on tap and got tired of having to wait for a new keg to fully carbonate when the old one ran out since I drink a lot of soda water during the week. I read that you are supposed to slowly ramp up the carbonation pressure over time, but do not understand why. I just fill my keg with water, put on the lid, put it in my keezer, attach the CO2 set to 35 psi for soda water and let it go overnight. I have carbonated soda water by the next day. I did the same with Kombucha and it worked just fine at 12 psi in a 2 1/2 gallon keg.

I have not tried it with beer yet and wonder if this would also work overnight if set at an appropriate psi like 12, but have not tried it with beer yet. No need. I have too many full kegs waiting to be tapped since I stopped drinking beer during the week and now have the luxury using the set and forget method for beer kegs.

OK I have a question. The instructions say put your lid back on but I am thinking so long as it does not leak, and so far it has not can’t I just leave it on there?

I used to switch out the lids after my soda water was carbonated, but stopped doing so. Like you, I thought why do so as long as I don't have a leak and don't need the carbonation lid for another keg.

This post should help you out:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/keg-lid-carbonation-stone.674960/post-8778537
I have changed my method a little since writing it. I no longer monitor the head pressure for the plateaus in step #5. I now simply increase the pressure on the regulator about 1/12 of a turn every 20-30 mins instead. Having the gauge to monitor head pressure is highly recommended, but not required. Just remember that the stone has a wetting pressure between 3-5 psi. Your head pressure should be close to your regulator pressure minus the wetting pressure of your stone.

Back