Difficulty with closed transfers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kldobbins

Reaction score
Hi,
Today I tried to do my 2nd closed transfer from my spike conical to a corney keg. I have read that I should transfer through the "keg out" side and down the diptube.
After purging the keg and attaching everything, my beer wouldnt transfer. I need some guidance. I pressured my conical to 3 psi. even went up to 10 to try to push it in, but nothing. The corney never even got the CO2 from the pressure. I pulled the PSV on the keg and no air was coming out. I even took the top of the keg to make sure there was no vaccuum... nothing.

If I took it off of the Black quick disconnect and switched to the gray and into the "gas in" side, it works. Also, if i just do an open transfer into the large keg opening with the silicone tube, it works too. Its a Ball lock keg.

I think its the black disconnect or the post, but i tried 2 different corney kegs and 2 black disconnects.

any advice?

IMG_1063.jpg

Are you certain you had the black QD fully seated on the keg post such that the latching collar was down all the way?
You would not be the first person new to corny kegs who did not fully engage a beer disconnect...

Cheers!

Either the disconnect clogged or the poppet clogged. Did you take both apart to check/clean?

I had trouble with my first closed transfer. The transfer was SLOW.
After it was done, I took apart the disconnect and it was clogged with hop junk. Next time I'll use a hop sock over the racking cane.

It did have some hop particles in the QD. But not much.

I did do a test run after with water and it worked just fine. So it had to be the hop debris.

Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Back