Difficulty matching British water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I normally take 3 or 4 readings during the mash and then don’t take readings pre and post boil or in the fermenter. I have never taken a pH reading of finished beer so I don’t know what is good or bad. Should I change my process? What do I do if the finished beer pH is too low or high?

Paul

Ales generally finish at a fully decarbonated pH extreme of about 3.8 to 4.2, and lagers generally finish at around 4.2 to 4.7 pH. 4.3 pH is considered to be the point at or below which bacteria are adequately suppressed. I doubt that you will ever unintentionally finish lower than ~3.8 pH. I've never heard of anyone attempting to alter the pH of a finished beer, though it is likely that some have tried this. I can offer no post fermentation method.

Last edited:
You're going to have to drink that pin fast once you tap it? I'm considering minikegs ( 5 litres ) as mini casks, staggered conditioning so that I can open one up and drink it over a couple of days.
Good bitter recipe on the craft beer channel that I've just brewed and will test this weekend. Happy Easter.

You're going to have to drink that pin fast once you tap it? I'm considering minikegs ( 5 litres ) as mini casks, staggered conditioning so that I can open one up and drink it over a couple of days.
Good bitter recipe on the craft beer channel that I've just brewed and will test this weekend. Happy Easter.
I am thinking of using a CO2 aspirated or just using a low 1-2psi ‘blanket pressure’ to prolong the life of the beer and serve it by gravity.

I do like the idea of using 5L mini-kegs. I might have to do that.

It's a balance of practicality and longevity really. If you're having a party a pinful is perfect but guess you aren't having parties up there yet.
The other option is beer in a bag ( like a wine box ) again the Craft beer channel shows this for a cask ale. Not true CAMRA but pretty good.
I've just sourced a beer engine, will need some TLC and cleaning etc but a steal at 70 US dollars ( has been 2 years of watching trade me for one the NZ equiv of ebay ).

Hi – I am trying to brew a clone of a beer I used to drink a lot of in England and have tried the recipe several times, but it has missed the mark. I decided to delve more into the water profile and managed to get a profile from the brewery and I have entered the characteristics into Bru’n Water to try to match the water by adding minerals. My base water is RO so I have a lot of latitude.

The data I got is: Calcium 200 mg/l, Chloride 200 mg/l, Sulphate 250 mg/l, Alkalinity 40 mg/l. Yes, it’s hard British water.

Now from what I have read, these numbers are equivalent to ppm, and I do not have the complete profile in terms of the Magnesium, Salt or Bicarbonate, but I looked at the profiles in John Palmer’s book and came up with:

Calcium 200ppm
Magnesium 12ppm (My data - is this reasonable?)
Sodium 24ppm
Sulphate 250ppm
Chloride 200ppm
Bicarbonate 100ppm (My data - is this reasonable?)

The question I have is that I am having difficulty in meeting these numbers in Bru’n Water, and achieving a mash pH target of 5.4. Bru’n water has me adding 10.4g of Gypsum, 9.6g of Calcium Chloride, 3.6g of Epsom Salts and 2.6g of Baking soda to come close to the profile. I also find I need to add 0.5g of Pickling Lime to raise the pH to 5.4. I am doing a 5 gallon batch with 8.2 gallons of RO mash water.

Bru’n water also flags that the Sulphate should be less than 150 and that the Chloride should be less than 100ppm, especially when the Sulphate is more than 100ppm.

I haven’t seen a water profile with a Chloride value that high. Do I ignore the warnings and RDWHAHB? 25g of minerals in 8 gallons of brewing liquor sounds a lot - then again British water has a lot of minerals in it. Maybe that is what I have been missing in my other attempts to brew this beer.

Paul
Hi Paul
can I ask you what the name of the beer is please.
looks like it turned out great.
Neil

Hi Paul
can I ask you what the name of the beer is please.
looks like it turned out great.
Neil
The beer I have been trying to replicate (for years now) is Wadworths 6X. Brewed in Devizes where I lived for a while, widely distributed in the south of England and my idea of what an English Ale should be.

Paul

The beer I have been trying to replicate (for years now) is Wadworths 6X. Brewed in Devizes where I lived for a while, widely distributed in the south of England and my idea of what an English Ale should be.

Paul
Ey up mate.
well from that description and recommendation it is now on my list to try!
ive just bought a variety of British hops and will be trying quite a few different brews this year. Next up is Worthington White Shield, then Hobgoblin old ale, then Timothy Taylor Bitter , then Wadworths 6X. . I don’t have it with me at the moment but I think I’ve seen the recipe listing for Wadworth 6X in the Graham Wheeler book.
im not a full grain brewer…I just use liquid extract at the moment, which seem to working out well for me.
Thanks for the info Paul.
Have a great night.
Neil🤓🍻

Paul
Hey Paul,
I got out my books and found these three versions.
the latest one (left) seems to have an error in it. I have also posted this on the JBK board in the Uk to see what they have to say about it.
Youve probably seen these before but I thought it interesting to see the differences. all from different editions of Graham Wheelers book
7AE92F45-BFD6-480A-991F-C3C29863AFA3.jpeg

Last edited:
Back