Difficulty getting disconnects on corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6286

Reaction score
I finally got all of my kegging stuff ready to go. Last night I went by my LHBS and got the last of what I needed - beer and gas disconnects and some extra lines. When I got home, I tried putting on the disconnects and for some reason, they would not go on. I know the gray one is the gas and that goes on the "In" and the beer goes on the "Out". I had to put a lot of muscle into just getting them to snap on, but they didn't fit snug at all. They were still very loose. Any reason why this is happening? Is it usually this difficult to connect these things, or do they usually just snap on?

I usually squirt starsan on the posts and the disconnects go on easily. The won't fit extremely tight when on. Be sure you NEVER put the black on the gas in post. That is a bugger to remove. The gray one on the liquid post isn't too bad.

Lube will make the post go in alot easier and the fit will start to loosen up as the o-rings get worn out from use. ;)

i know this may sound dumb but i actually did this when i first got mine. make sure you are lifting up the bottom half of the quick disconnect before you push down on the post. i didnt even know that part was moveable when i first got mine and just pushed them down on the post as hard as i could and they only went about halfway down. took me a while to figure out why my keg wasnt carbing. :drunk:

i know this may sound dumb but i actually did this when i first got mine. make sure you are lifting up the bottom half of the quick disconnect before you push down on the post. i didnt even know that part was moveable when i first got mine and just pushed them down on the post as hard as i could and they only went about halfway down. took me a while to figure out why my keg wasnt carbing. :drunk:

Haha how did you know I'm that stupid? I can't believe I did this. I was so pissed I was using all my muscle to put them on and it just wouldn't budge. Then I tried to lift the bottom part up and walla! Sorry for the dumb question and thanks for the help guys.

One more tip for some of you who might not know it. The two taps that screw on to kegs threaded posts, The Gas in side has small notches all the way around it so that when you disconnect them you know which side goes where. It doesn't matter what shape they are either, they will still have the notches around the outside. This saved me a lot of time. LOL

One more tip for some of you who might not know it. The two taps that screw on to kegs threaded posts, The Gas in side has small notches all the way around it so that when you disconnect them you know which side goes where. It doesn't matter what shape they are either, they will still have the notches around the outside. This saved me a lot of time. LOL

+1. I made the mistake of confusing the posts so I had the gas on the liquid and vice versa. I broke a pair of disconnects with that mistake. Yes, I'm that strong and persistent.

+1. I made the mistake of confusing the posts so I had the gas on the liquid and vice versa. I broke a pair of disconnects with that mistake. Yes, I'm that strong and persistent.

Strong enough to break plastic, you must be quite the brute. :)

_

Strong enough to break plastic, you must be quite the brute. :)

_

Plastic? Who said they were plastic?

They looked more like these:
stainless-steel-ball-lock-post-connect-liquid.jpg

Back