differnet hose diameters, does it really matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
Looking at assembling my first keg set up. just picked up 2 pin locks, 5lb tank, and reg w/ picnic tap and one gas line. I want to add 6 more kegs, and do 4 taps in the kegerator. I see allthese various sizes of hose 1/4, 5/16, and others...

then i see some sites with "universal hose" and others with one liquid side hose, and one gas hose....

someone help me straighten it all out.

Liquid size matters in that hose size, length and pressure determine your pour (foamy, too fast, too slow, etc). I can't see gas side mattering all that much though.

I went all 3/16" for liquid and 5/16" for gas. Just make sure you stick with the same size throughout to save you some headaches.

there are thin wal and thick wall hoses, braided etc...

the wall thickness determines it's pressure handling and to some extent odor infiltration. So yeah, it matters as much as you know what you are getting and need.

The universal stuff tends to always be a thickwall and sometimes has a membrane.

Hose diameter has more to do with line resistance than anything and the "homebrew" varieties (3/16 ID) tend to offer the highest amount of resistance. More resistance = less line needed for a balanced system.

Back