Different types of honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Any honey experts in the house? I'm making a braggot recipe from Extreme Brewing that calls for 6# of orange blossom honey, claiming the orange blossom honey adds a citrusy note to the brew.

Looks like that'll cost anywhere from $40-$60. I can get honey from a beekeeper friend for darn near free, and I'm wondering what the impact will be to the finished product, flavor-wise. I guess that would be wildflower honey?

I don't eat much honey, so I wouldn't know the differences among the various varieties.

Thanks!

-Joe

Well, I've had a lot of different honeys.....and they all have their own unique taste, aside from the wildflower ones, which is just a mix of everything around.

And the orange taste does come through with orange blossom honey.

Would it come through in a beer? I guess it would depend on the grain bill, etc.

The flavor differences are huge, but that doesn't mean one type of honey is better-suited for fermentation than others, per se. I'd just give it a shot with what your friend can get you. If you don't like it, you can always try the orange blossom (BTW, 5 lbs of orange blossom honey should cost less than $40 - Northern Brewer sells 12 lbs for $35 + shipping, and for me locally it's about $20/5 lbs)

(BTW, 5 lbs of orange blossom honey should cost less than $40 - Northern Brewer sells 12 lbs for $35 + shipping, and for me locally it's about $20/5 lbs)
You're right, sorry - I was looking at 12# (1 gallon) packages of honey.

Thanks for the input!

-Joe

Latest posts

Back