Different tpyes of airlocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MgMt_Home_Brew

Reaction score
Hey guys I have been fermenting in buckets with plastic wrap over the top and a rubber band with good results. However I am starting to want to leave beers in a secondary for an extended period of time so I picked up some 5 gallon carboys.

So I was looking online at airlocks and the site said that the 1 piece airlock is preferred over the 3 piece airlock for secondary purposes. Is this true? Is there any reason why I should use a 1 piece airlock instead of a 3 piece airlock on my secondary fermenter?

I have both kinds, and I always use what's either clean at the time or the closest one to grab. It's not really an issue.

It's not that 1 piece airlocks are better for clearing tanks, it's more like they shouldn't be used on a primary since they get full of crap easier. I use three piece airlocks only.

It's not that 1 piece airlocks are better for clearing tanks, it's more like they shouldn't be used on a primary since they get full of crap easier. I use three piece airlocks only.

That's exactly it. If you can avoid the 1 piece do it. It's not that their bad just a more difficult to clean.

:tank:

I have about 20 airlocks of different types and shapes. the S type with the 3 bubbles on each side seem to work well for secondary, as they do not suck back nearly as bad as the 3 piece.
I do like the 3 piece on active ferments that have a chance of coming through...as like EvilTOJ says...they don't plug up as bad...especially once you cut that damn plastic off of the bottom.

The 3 piece air locks are easier to clean, therefore since the possibility of them getting filled with gunk is greater, they are used for the primary.
The 1 piece air lock is better for a secondary, due to the exact opposite, there is hardly ever a chance that it will get stuff inside.

:off:
Hey Evil glad to see you didnt lose your leg, and that you are back on the forums and outta the hospital.

+1 to blowoff tube. I used one, my krausen only got to about an inch thick, but Im glad I had it, better safe than sorry.

I probably wont use a blow off since I am using plastic buckets with no lids. I use plastic wrap on the top with a rubber band and a little bit of the plastic wrap not under the rubber cand to let the CO2 press it's way out. But I will be using 5 gallon carboys for long 2nd stage so then I will need an airlock.

IF you build enough foam to blow off, it's going to do it weather you have a lid or not. With Plastic wrap on the top it's going to be real hard to contain.

Yeah I thought of that. Hopefully I wont run into this or maybe I will just buy a lid and be on the safe side.

Back