Different Techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer Downunder

Reaction score
G'day just wondering what different techniques there are out there for kegging
1: After fermentation syphon brew from fermenter into keg miniumising gunk pickup, burp keg (Remove O2) pressurise to 400kpa (58psi) shake keg like mad till pressure drops to about 100kpa (14.5psi), repeat this 2 times pressurise to 400kpa (58psi) leave for about 48-72hrs (2-3days) Pressurise to serving pressure 100-150kpa(14.5-21.75psi) and enjoy
That's the way i've been tought and am interested in others :D

Brewer Downunder said:
G'day just wondering what different techniques there are out there for kegging
1: After fermentation syphon brew from fermenter into keg miniumising gunk pickup, burp keg (Remove O2) pressurise to 400kpa (58psi) shake keg like mad till pressure drops to about 100kpa (14.5psi), repeat this 2 times pressurise to 400kpa (58psi) leave for about 48-72hrs (2-3days) Pressurise to serving pressure 100-150kpa(14.5-21.75psi) and enjoy
That's the way i've been tought and am interested in others :D

Good god man, do you like drinking glasses of foam?

Overpressurizing and shaking is a method many folks use, this is true, but it leads to over- or under-carbonated results more often than not.

The tried and true method is to refrigerate the keg first. CO2 will dissolve into a cold solution easier. Then hook up the CO2, adjust the regulator to serving pressure (consult the charts for the pressure needed for the volumes of CO2 you want, and the needed pressure for the temperature of the beer to achieve it), then let it sit for anywhere from five to seven days. Then tap it and away you'll go.

Yes, you have to wait a little longer, but let's face it, beer aged a little longer is usually better. This method also gives you precise control over the carbonation level, whereas the overpressure and shake method doesn't.

i have to agree, that those pressures and additional "force carbings" sound a bit much. i have always had good luck with my procedure, and it may not work for everyone.
i rack my beer to clean/sanitized keg, blanket w/ CO2, and chill as close to 32 degrees as possible (i usually let it sit for 2-3 days if it's an ale, and not already cold like my lagers). put my CO2 on 35-40 psi, and rock/shake the keg for 8-10 minutes, and put back into the keg fridge. i let it sit for another 3-4 days, release pressure, adjust to my serving pressure of 9-12 psi, tap and enjoy! i have always had good carbonation and clarity on my brews. just my $0.02 worth.

cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Howdy all from the SW. This seems like a very informative board and I've already picked up on a couple tips. Thanks.
As for carbonating, I do both. It just depends on the kind of beer brewed, my patience, and how much beer I have available to drink before its ready. I force carbonate young (and small) beers. In fact I have one that's ready in 6 days from kettle to pint glass. I naturally carbonate big beers that will need time to age anyways and real beers (beers served by engine). Nice to meet y'all.

Wild

welcome aboard. wow! 6 day's? what's the puppy?????

nice quote too. we have Saint Arnold's Brewing Co. not too far from my hometown. decent beers, nice free tours every Saturday and free beer (which makes 'em better, right?)

cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

It's an American Brown and I try to have it on tap at all times. Let me know if you want the recipe.

I've always gone by the idea that there's two kinds of beer in this world;
Good and Free. Looks like you have the best of both worlds at Saint Arnold's Brewing Co.

Wild

Back