Different Perlick's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donthoseme

Reaction score
Ok so i'm going to buy some Perlick faucets. I've made the decision. But i see a couple different types out there and i don't see the difference. I was hoping some wise and seasoned brewers could help steer me in the right directions.

Oh and i've decided on Stainless Steel.

they're all essentially the same technology, so I'd get the ones you can find cheapest. i think the ones I have are 525ss, they work great for me.

There are 525, 575(creamer) and 425(older design) in stainless. 425 has a removeable spout, I think.

For GP use, the 525 is what you want. There are also some brass ones, but I don't know alot about them. Use the search!

Finally, on ebay there are sometimes used ones that don't appear to be forward sealing faucets. These are way older, AFAIK.

I have the 525ss faucets, great price and I absolutely love them! I really like the fact that the tap handle can rotate, I would drive myself nuts with my old faucets trying to get the tap handles to both be oriented perfectly and at the same threaded height.

I use my 525 for stouts too, if you just hardly pull the handle forward it will foam like mad! someone else on here made that suggestion, I tried it and love the results. Saved me from buying a special faucet that would get limited use in my bar.

sorry, i just assumed you were talking about the general purpose faucets. i think creamer would limit you to certain styles, but i have no experience with them.

The creamer faucet is used when your pour does not have enough head for your liking. You push the tap backwards past its 'stop flowing' point and it opens a tiny orifice that allows the beer to come through in a low volume/high pressure situation causing it to foam.

You can do the same thing with the 525 if you just barely pull the handle forward as was posted above.

If you scroll down to the page in the Perlick catalog that has the faucets you can see how the action works inside the creamer.

http://www.perlick.com/pdf-files/Tapping-no-prices.pdf

what styles would the creamer limit me to?

None. Youll just be paying much more for a feature that only puts a head in the glass. If you pour properly you dont need the feature and you can achieve the same results by just pulling the handles on the 525 so its barely open....bam....instant foam.

Beer is not meant to be poured using the creamer function. The creamer is for after the pour has been done.

can anyone elaborate on the creamer vs. the standard faucets?

The creamer faucet has a mode where you push the lever back to route the beer through a little gizmo that produces creamy foam. I've no direct experience with it, but if you do a search, you'll find three comments:

1. It's not a sub for a real stout tap on nitrogen.
2. Not for guests, as they may push the lever all the way back when done to turn it off and get freaked as the foam overflows the glass.
3. Just opening the regular one part way gives foam, so is it really needed?

Edit: Looks like this question already answered....

Rich

The creamer faucet has a mode where you push the lever back to route the beer through a little gizmo that produces creamy foam. I've no direct experience with it, but if you do a search, you'll find three comments:

1. It's not a sub for a real stout tap on nitrogen.
2. Not for guests, as they may push the lever all the way back when done to turn it off and get freaked as the foam overflows the glass.
3. Just opening the regular one part way gives foam, so is it really needed?

Edit: Looks like this question already answered....

Rich

Great summary. As an owner of the 575ss I'll add:
#4, there is more to clean, which makes cleaning a tad more of a chore.

I know #2 is real (I posted about this before, so I'm probably confirming my own post) but after having them 6+ months I can say it's pretty rare especially since you tend to have the same people over. I had large number of new folks over this fall and no issues. I'm happy with them, but done over again I'd go 525ss.

Back