different color PVC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinnick

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just made a pick up filter with some PVC fittings and the only ones that were the right size for what I needed were grey PVC. They were still in the plumbing section and are used with drinking water so I assumed it would be ok. Does anyone here know of any issues with grey PVC?
Thanks, Nick

grey pvc is used for electrical conduit. it has uv inhibitors added to keep it from degrading in sunlight. It's probably not intended for use in food applications, but i wouldn't worry too much about it.

Heck, PVC pipe itself is supposedly not supposed to be used anymore either (they want cpvc instead)

What is a "pick up filter"? If this is something that will be exposed to temperatures exceeding 140°F, using PVC may be a problem...

Cheers!

Confused where you are coming from day tripper? (edit: nevermind I actually read the OP :eek:) I'm guessing it is a manifold.

But grey pvc as I know it is schedule 80 pvc pipe. Same as the white stuff but thicker to withsatnd more pressure - used in process piping in industrial plants.

Both electrical conduit and schedule 80 PVC are grey.

As long as you used schedule 80 pipe you are probably ok. However I would stick to known safe materials such as copper and stainless if it were me.

Back