Difference between HefeW and Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty3777

Reaction score
What is the difference between a German Hefeweitzen and an American Wheat beer? Sorry - I am starting from complete ignorance on these matters :eek:

The biggest difference is the yeast used which totally affects the overall flavor of the beer. German Hefe's use various yeasts which have the potential to produce varying levels of banana, clove, and bubblegum flavors.

American Wheats tend to use a more neutral yeast which might have a very slight amount of the above flavors but tends to be more focused on the malt aspect of the beer.

The biggest difference is the yeast used which totally affects the overall flavor of the beer. German Hefe's use various yeasts which have the potential to produce varying levels of banana, clove, and bubblegum flavors.

American Wheats tend to use a more neutral yeast which might have a very slight amount of the above flavors but tends to be more focused on the malt aspect of the beer.

+1, American Wheats = clean, Hefe's = dirty :ban:

I enjoy American Wheats. Many people find them bland, or don't care for the flour-like taste, but they are damned good to me.

Night and Day!

American Hefe is like Iced Tea

Bavarian Hefe is Nirvana!!!

Alright, I've never met an American Wheat that didn't trigger a gag reflex in the back of my throat, but I'm always willing to try something new....I think I'd actually like the banana/clove-ness that you guys always talk about...

I feel like there's at least 1/4 of beer styles that I've avoided becasue of my aversion to wheats....

So what a good commercial example of this here nirvana you speak of? :D

Flying Dog In Heat Wheat is one that comes to mind, Paulaner's (sp?) Hefeweizen is another. AHS Bavarian Hefe is pretty damn close to the Flying Dog In Heat with that cloviness, the Paulaner's is a bit more subtle IMHO...

Flying Dog's In Heat is a good American hefe (beats Sierra Nevada's and Sam Adam's hands down IMO). I'd put down Paulaner as my favorite Bavarian hefe. Never tried Franziskaner's, but they make a mean dunkelweizen. Looks like I've got some "research" to do. :D

Revvy do yourself a favor and check out a good bavarian hefe, I also don't care for american style hefe's but Bavarian Hefe's are awesome. I just brewed 10 gallons of the stuff and it I like it more with every glass. I tried Pauleners and it was good, also Trader Joes has a decent version but it has more bubblegum than most. Nothing beats making your own though

70% white wheat
30% pilsner or 2-row
some Hallertau hops to get you to 13 or so IBU's
White Labs WLP300

Easy peasy.

Back