Difference Between German Northern Brewer Hops and US Northern Brewer Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
LHBS recently sold me some YCH German Northern Brewer hops. Right off the bat I noticed the alpha acid content was much lower than the US Northern Brewer I've used. Outside of that, are there any drastic differences? Would it be OK to use these hops in a California Common?

The US and German varieties are genetically different, but give very similar results. I've brewed a few CA Commons and Alts with both. Even though your current stash of NB's have lower AA%, I would caution you against 'alpha adjusting' or increasing later kettle additions to offset the lower potency... say from 20 minutes to flameout. This hop can get pretty piney/herb/earthy/minty really quick and overpower a CA Common. Make up the IBU's earlier in the boil with a little extra NB or by using a dash of Magnum or Warrior around 60 minutes.

Thanks for the advise friarsmith, been thinking of using this in a rye Kentucky common. Been looking for something similar to a noble hop but with a little something more. Do you have a preference over either?

i used the German variety over the US... in the batch i made last night. i had no clue two different norther brewer existed. thank you for the information above. to me i would prefer more aroma so i am happy i ended up with the German NB's

The last couple of year I have not got a lot of flavor or aroma from either the german or US versions, has anyone else noticed that too?

The blow of on my fermenter would say otherwise I will update once I bottle. Best smelling fermenting beer yet for me.

Back