Didn't read Wyeast instructions.... oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcebritton

Reaction score
So, I was brewing my first batch of beer and everything was going very smoothly. I cooled the boil quickly and got it into the fermentation vessel. Then I opened the Wyeast and dumped it in (without reading activation instructions). Then realized there was a smack pack inside. I smacked it then dumped it in. Needless to say I didn't activate the yeast. Should I get a new packet and do it right, see what happens with what I put in, or have I ruined perfectly good coffee stout?

That little packet is mainly designed just to let you know the yeast are alive. It's a little sugar and some nutrients. I don't even pop mine half the time. It will be perfectly fine.

Since this was your first brew, chances are you didn't have a really high OG (over 1.065)... Even if you did, my first brew (OG 1.072) was fine with the yeast poured in (couldn't get the activator pack to pop) along with the nutrient pack contents poured in. It fermented just fine. It might have had a slower start, but was active within about 24-26 hours...

If you don't have ANY fermentation activity after 72 hours, then you probably want to get a new pack, smack/activate it, and use that...

My OG was 1.065. It has about 2" of foam on top and it has only been about 18 hours since I brewed it. Hopefully this is a good sign. Thanks for the quick replies.

Back