Didn't reach my original S Gravity what should i do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffBeck

Reaction score
I just brewed my 2nd all grain batch. Old Rasputin and it calls for a OSG of 1.092 After boil and cool down I show 1.071 ( crap )

Should I do anything to fix this?

Thanks

DME contributes about 41 gravity points per pound per gallon.

The math for your situation:

Assumptions:

Batch Size: 5 gallons
DME: 41 PPG

Math:

Target Gravity Points = 1.092 X 5 Gallons = 460 Gravity Points Total
Actual Gravity Points = 1.071 X 5 Gallons = 355 Gravity Points

460 - 355 = 105 Gravity Point Shy

105 / 41 = 2.56 lbs DME to hit target gravity

assuming you have 5 gallons of 1.071 wort. You should add a half gallon of 1.300 wort to bring it up to 5.5 gallons of 1.092

It would take 3.36 lbs of to make .5 gallons at 1.300

I encountered a similar issue with my last batch. What is the cause of missing the OG, sugar extraction?

Is that a mash temp thing?

I thought I nailed the mash temp/time on my last batch but still fell about .02 short...

Sorry for the naivety - this a new endeavor for me.

I encountered a similar issue with my last batch. What is the cause of missing the OG, sugar extraction?

Is that a mash temp thing?

I thought I nailed the mash temp/time on my last batch but still fell about .02 short...

Sorry for the naivety - this a new endeavor for me.

Missing your gravity with all-grain is either caused by having a different efficiency than the recipe assumes, or by not ending up with the proper volume of wort.

Missing your gravity with all-grain is either caused by having a different efficiency than the recipe assumes, or by not ending up with the proper volume of wort.

Thanks for the insight. I've read up on AG brewing, but only done it a few times now, it's good to get feedback from people who know.

I pitched my yeast on Sunday and won't be back in town until Friday (5 days after pitching) is it too late to add some boiled wort (DME) to bring the gravity up, or should I just go with what I have?

Will adding DME screw up the flavor much?
I mean I know this is not optimum but.....

Will adding DME screw up the flavor much?
I mean I know this is not optimum but.....

Nope. The flavor won't likely change as long as you're doing it before fermentation. All you're really doing by adding DME is making up for sugars left in the mash tun. You could also add it during fermentation, although I'd probably just leave it at that point.

Well, I got the starting gravity up to 1.086 after adding 3.5 lbs golden light DME in 1/2 gallon of boiling water to the wort after cool down.
I was afraid to add more as this seemed like a heck of a lot to be adding.
I pitched the yeast and hope it comes out ok.
Recommended aging is 6 months.

Back