Didn't Pitch entire yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm making a 5 gal batch of Altbier. I made a 1.75 Liter starter with 2 vials White Labs WLP036 Dusseldorf Alt. I filled my primary fermentor a bit to high and wasn't able to use the entire starter. There about 500ml left. How bad is this. Should I pitch it into the secondary in a week?

Save it and grow it up for your next batch. Use it to make your next starter. Free yeast..

Did you try to pour all 1.75L into the beer? Or did you decant first?

I didn't decant. I attempted to pitch the entire 1.75l but because of lack of headroom I have about 500ml of slurry that won't fit. The fermenter is actively bubbling and filling the airlock with beer and popping the thermoelectric off. I just pitched it 15 hours ago

Yeah, that was a question I recently had, and found out that when making a starter like that, you should decant most of the liquid off first.

In this hobby, I imagine I will always be learning something.

:)

I didn't decant. I attempted to pitch the entire 1.75l but because of lack of headroom I have about 500ml of slurry that won't fit. The fermenter is actively bubbling and filling the airlock with beer and popping the thermoelectric off. I just pitched it 15 hours ago

It's just barely hitting its stride. You've got it sitting in something or somewhere where all the stuff that starts pouring out isn't going to ruin anything, right? It's gonna be a mess.

It not too bad of a mess. I have my fermenter in a thermal cooling jacket. It's settling down a bit and the blow off made more headroom. I wound up pitching the remaining slurry the day after brew day as it would fit now. So far so good.

Back