did something dumb, now two questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoCornOrRice

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, got my beer in the 6.5g carboy and then this happened:

I pushed down on the plastic airlock to seat it in the rubber bung in the top of the carboy, and the bung decended down in to the abyss of brew below, two questions:

1. Will leaving the rubber bung in the brew for the entire primary (about 4 weeks) contribute any off flavors?

2. how do I get said bung out of the carboy?

In the meantime I put the airlock in a different bung, and put it on. All of my other carboys are in use, but I could pick up another one to transfer. I want answers that put quality above any other factor. This is a high gravity (O.G. = 1.083) brew, and the brew day was about 9 hours, so I don't want to risk cra*py beer. Its a Souther Teir Unearthly meets Weyerbacher Double Simcoe inspired beer

Thanks

The stopper should have been sanitized, so no worries there. There's a trick where you put part of a plastic bag in the opening, turn the fermenter upside down and the plastic will grab the stopper it so you can pull it through, or something similar.

_

if you decide to leave the stopper in during fermentation... once the beer is transferred, turn the carboy upside down, insert needle nose pliers, extract stopper. if you fail to perform any of these steps in the proper order than the stopper is lost forever, im off now to solve another mystery

Did that with my very first batch. It was fine and the stopper was easy to retrieve with some needle nose pliers.

Seat Airlock Deep than Bung.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know......That's what she said."

Back