Did not sterilize carboy top....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leesmith

Reaction score
Last night while bottling I tried harvesting some yeast for repitching in a couple days.

I boiled a ball jar, ring and lid. Then let it cool with lid on, poured off the water, sprayed inside and out with Str-San and left top down in a sanitized wash basin next to the sprayed lid and ring.

Racked beer off cake and covered the jug top. Here's where I made a mistake: I didn't sanitize the jug mouth before swirling the yeast cake and pouring it into the ball jar.

I had a clean pour (didn't dribble or splash) but should I not use this yeast? I kept all tools and my hands that touched the carboy sanitized...but I did not sanitize the top of the jug (1 gallon).

Passedpawn,

Thank you for the reply.
Just rinsed twice from last night and I'm hoping for a nice pitch on Monday or Tuesday.

I think you're fine as well. Yeast are pretty tough bastards who don't take to kindly to other bugs moving into their neighborhood...

Back