Did my wlp099 starter start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banik

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
More generally, how do you tell if a starter has successfully grown?

I did a pair if starters (my first) last week that had krausen, etc, so that was pretty obvious.

I have two wlp099 (super high gravity yeast) starters from 12 hours ago, and neither have krausen, etc.

The best-by date is 4 months ago.

How can I tell if my yeasties are happy?

*edit*
1.6L starters at 1.040 in erlenmeyers- one on a stir plate, one shaken and sitting (my other stir bar is in one of my fermenters...)

More generally, how do you tell if a starter has successfully grown?

1) Check gravity
2)Look at it. Did krausen form (not all SUCCESSFUL starters form krausen)?
3)Look at it. Has it changed from a semi-transparent/translucent liquid to an opaque creamy looking liquid?
4)Look at it. Are there more yeast in there than you put in there?

Well, after starting at 1.040, 12 hours later it's at 1.030...

Took it off the stir plate for awhile, and I can see signs of fermentation, but it seems like such a small drop in gravity means that it wouldn't be a great idea to pitch it in to a 1.102 beer...

No brewing for me today... But I will have to have a talk with the folks are the LHBS about giving me yeast 4 months past its best-by date...

Well, after starting at 1.040, 12 hours later it's at 1.030...

Took it off the stir plate for awhile, and I can see signs of fermentation, but it seems like such a small drop in gravity means that it wouldn't be a great idea to pitch it in to a 1.102 beer...

No brewing for me today... But I will have to have a talk with the folks are the LHBS about giving me yeast 4 months past its best-by date...

You should give it a minimum of 24 hours. As Revvy states, krausen doesn't mean anything. I never get krausen with my stir plate but I do get a nice layer of yeast after a 24 hours on the stir plate and a day in the fridge. I stick it in the fridge so I can decant the extra liquid. You should tell the lhbs to sell the older yeast at a big discount or give it to you for free.

Thanks guys, and possibly gals- that's the plan.

I'm going to cold crash over night, and do another pair of starters tomorrow.

I might have to take a brew-day off work this week once the starters get happy enough.

Back