Did my first batch. What would you change?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishcrazy06

Reaction score
Okay so I did my first batch of brew kind of. I had a guy help me with it. I was able to do a 5 gallon batch with him which I prefer to do from now on.

First we did the full 5 gallon batch boil from a recipe kit I picked up (Red Ale)

Then we rehydrated the yeast and pitched it. He used an airstone to oxygenate the wort. Any tips of the best way to do this? What to use to do it?

Then it was off to the fermenter with an airlock.

It sat for a week in the fermenter and then he stated it was ready to be bottled so we bottled it.

It was bottled with 3/4 cup priming sugar added to the 5 gallons of the wort.

Let the bottles sit for 3 weeks before chilling the first 3 bottles to try out.

I think it could sit longer next time and possibly contemplating letting the bottles sit a little longer as well to see if it will condition even more.

Any and all comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. If you need more information please don't hesitate to ask. This was the first batch I did and want to do more to improve my process.

Eric

Yeah, I think it needs to be in the primary longer. I never go less than two weeks in the primary, and three is preferred.

Also, 3/4 cup of priming sugar may be a hair much (might be over-carbonated). But that might just be me and the fact that my beers carb at fairly high temperatures.

Did you dissolve the priming sugar in water and boil it and then add to the beer to bottle? If you didn't I would do that next time. Invest in a hydrometer so you can make sure you hit your FG so you don't end up with bottle bombs.

Also, 3/4 cup of priming sugar may be a hair much (might be over-carbonated). But that might just be me and the fact that my beers carb at fairly high temperatures.

I would recommend switching to measuring priming sugar by weight. 3/4 cup means different things to different people depending on how they are measuring (3/4 cup tends to be under carbonated for me). Weight is much more consistent and dependable.

I would recommend switching to measuring priming sugar by weight. 3/4 cup means different things to different people depending on how they are measuring (3/4 cup tends to be under carbonated for me). Weight is much more consistent and dependable.

Good idea. I learned something new today :) Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. Now that I think of it I am not sure if it was 3/4 of a cup. What it was was a Red Ale kit that came with everything including the priming sugar. The priming sugar was dissolved in water and added to the bottling bucket then the bottles were filles. I do have a hydrometer and also used that as well.

Yes, they will change for the better! Most average gravity beers hit their peak at around 4-6 weeks of bottle conditioning.

Back