Did I wash the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
I have watched plenty of videos and read threads on washing yeast. I recently decided to do it with some White Labs 380 strain. Only problem is, I have no idea if I have an assload of yeast in my final collection vessel, or a bunch of Trub. For what its worth, I strained the wort using a stainless steel strainer when I racked into carboy for fermenting. Instead of doing a bunch of containers, once I got about 4 containers of what I believed to be all yeast, I poured them all together and now have about 1/2 pint of hopefully yeast.

But what I do not want to do is brew an batch, go to pitch and it be worthless, or even worse, introduce other trub into a new batch. Thoughts?:rockin:

If you followed the directions, I'm sure it's yeast.

You could make a small starter to verify.

I would make a starter before pitching, regardless.

Yeah, I'll do a starter, but I do not have a local homebrew store and wanted to avoid having to buy an extra yeast package in case it doesn't work. I guess that is just smart to do anyways.

Well, you don't have to use it all at once.

Do a small test starter to see what happens. If it's not good, then buy a new package.

EDIT: Better yet, just use it all. If it's good, pop it in the fridge until you're ready to brew. On brewday, decant and you're good to go!

Back