did i under pitch? (don't worry, not an airlock thread)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogiesnap

Reaction score
hi all, i brewed a stone ipa clone last night. OG is 1.071. i took a sloppy:drunk:reading of the cooled wort and it was "around" there. ;) so i'm good with that.

yeasties are slowly doing there thing i'm sure.

my question is this, when i opened the vial, it exploded a bit(i'll be more careful with the cap next time) and i may have lost some culture. after doing some reading this evening i realize one may want more yeast when brewing a high gravity beer, and with what happened, i may have pitched less.

so, should i get some more yeast and pitch a bit?

if ya'll have a minute any thoughts would be appreciated.

If fermentation is underway I probably wouldn't pitch any more. The less you mess with it he better.

Even without losing a some of the yeast, only pitching one vial would be an underpitch for this beer. Check out mrmalty.com for yeast pitching calculation.

If fermentation is underway I probably wouldn't pitch any more. The less you mess with it he better.

Even without losing a some of the yeast, only pitching one vial would be an underpitch for this beer. Check out mrmalty.com for yeast pitching calculation.

interesting calculator.

would seem anything over a 1.03 OG would need multiple packs or vials. i had no idea. thanks for the info.

It is a lot cheaper to make a starter if using liquid yeast. Its is very easy just takes a little planning because you need to do it a day or 2 before you brew.

interesting calculator.

would seem anything over a 1.03 OG would need multiple packs or vials. i had no idea. thanks for the info.

Exactly.....

But as to the "exploding" tube issue, it happens to all of us at least once. That's because the yeasties have been farting co2 while they hung out in the tube.

A couple of tips for handling that.

1) No matter what size the mouth of the vessel is that you use to make a starter use a larger funnel (like the ones you can get from your lhbs) sanitize it and holding the stopper end pointing downward "inside" the funnel, open slowly, that way as it gushes it mostly sprays into the funnel.

2) Have starsan or whatever no rinse sanitizer in a spray bottle, and spray the tube as well as your hands thoroughly with sanitizer, that way if it gushes onto your hands and falls you've been sanitized.

3) Open slowly....twist it only slowly enough to crack the "ratchet" ring on the tube, then stop a second to let some of the co2 woosh out, then open the tube.

wouldn't that then suggest for those that don't know that EVERY kit sold(unless they specify to make a starter)and brewed is under pitched?

that doesn't seem right.

thanks revy, will do next time.

wouldn't that then suggest for those that don't know that EVERY kit sold(unless they specify to make a starter)and brewed is under pitched?

that doesn't seem right.

Pretty much. It sucks that they don't simply print the info on the labels, and we have to teach folks.

There's tons of threads discussing it. But mrmalty's pitch rate calculator is really the way to go.

do up a starter with another vial and pitch it, there is no harm in that. you should have done a starter to start with IMO. See mrmalty.com. 1 packet of dry US-05 would have done the trick but since you went with liquid you need about a 2 liter starter i am guessing. but check mrmalty.com yeast pitching calculator.

thanks guys. i think this will be my last "kit".

i'll use recipes, but there seems to be things inherently wrong with all the kit instructions, no matter how reputable the vendor.

that doesn't seem right.

actually, this is incorrect. credit where credit is due.

austin home brew DOES suggest double pitching higher gravity beers.

i'll give a couple of their kits a run before branching on my own.

:mug:

I understand the "pitching rates" suggested by Mr. Malty and that is great and grand and all... But, chances are your beer will turn out fine and probably very good all things considered. I think the pitch rates arguments are a little over exaggerated in my opinion. It's one of those things we geek out on a little too much sometimes I think. I've see beers ferment out and turn into tasty nectar with minimal yeast. I mean we are talking less than 1/4 of a vial. Making a starter is great and I'm sure will positively effect your outcomes, but to suggest that someone should spend 12-24 dollars on yeast (i've seen Mr. Malty suggest 4 packs for beers) is ridiculous! just my 2 cents.

I understand the "pitching rates" suggested by Mr. Malty and that is great and grand and all... But, chances are your beer will turn out fine and probably very good all things considered. I think the pitch rates arguments are a little over exaggerated in my opinion. It's one of those things we geek out on a little too much sometimes I think. I've see beers ferment out and turn into tasty nectar with minimal yeast. I mean we are talking less than 1/4 of a vial. Making a starter is great and I'm sure will positively effect your outcomes, but to suggest that someone should spend 12-24 dollars on yeast (i've seen Mr. Malty suggest 4 packs for beers) is ridiculous! just my 2 cents.

That's why you make starters, so you don't have to buy 4 packs of yeast....

But seriously, you don't think there'd be a difference in the quality and taste of a beer that required you to pitch a starter = to 4 packs of yeast, vs just pitching one? You don't think that 1 pack trying to do the job of 4 wouldn't be stressed out???? Don't you think YOU'D be a little tired trying to do a job that normally takes for guys to do, all by yourself?

I know whY you are saying revvy... I just think that too much stock is held in the pitch rates. I know its better to pitch more... But also know the difference isn't night and day like one would assume reading many of these types of posts. Beginner brewers is imagine would have a hard time getting into the hobby if they knew they had to spend 10%+ more for a batch tri achieve an incrementally better result.

I did expect to get called out on this... Just know what I know and its not a detrimental sitcho to not pitch enough.

Latest posts

Back