Did I shock my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SexPanther13

Reaction score
So I had put a 5 gallon batch of pale ale in my better bottle carboy on Saturday afternoon with Wyeast British Ale at around 70*F and the last 2 days it has been bubbling away and had a nice krausen head on it.

But today I came home from class and found the temp at 79*F. I quickly got a wet towel and wrapped it up with it and turned a fan on it to increase evaporation and cooled it down to 70* within 5 hours or so but now I have hardly any krausen on top. Do you think it is really almost done fermenting already?

It was 1.040 OG on Saturday, I just don't feel like it should be dying down like that. I'm going to wait a couple more days and take a hydrometer reading to see if it is done or stuck. I'm not too worried about it, but what do you guys think?

Most likely, it's just about done fermenting. Can't really tell without a hydrometer reading.

Back