Did I ruin my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calenk

Reaction score
hi there. I just made my first extract brew and I'm wondering if I ruined it. after the boiling I added the rest of the cold water needed to bring it up to 23 liters but it was still to hot pitch so I let it cool itself over night. I wasn't aware rapid cooling was necessary... is this batch going to be ruined?

thanks

If you left it open to the air overnight, there is a bigger chance of infection but if covered and you used sanitary cold-side practices, likely will turn out just fine. Many people wait until the next morning to pitch their yeast. Rapid cooling certainly helps prevent the chance of baddies and makes for a clearer beer in the long run, and should be something you strive for, however there’s a good chance you’ll be fine with a healthy pitch of yeast the next morning. I’ve found that on a first batch of beer, all equipment is so clean and pristine that it’s usually very sterile if properly sprayed down with sanitizer.

ya it was all transferred to the primary bucket and everything was sterile and the lid was on although not clicked in tight.

Good chance you’ll be fine. Is the airlock bubbling yet? Don’t worry if it’s not - Sometimes lag on dry yeast can be a while and sometimes you won’t see airlock activity in buckets due to a poor seal on the lid.

Sounds like a pretty standard no-chill brew to me, something hundreds of brewers swear by, which produces excellent beers. Have no fear, your beer will turn out just fine.

I've done this a few times before I got a immersion cooler. Beer turned out fine each time. As stated previously there are many people that swear by the method. Looks like your on your way to your first brew. Congrats! Hope it turns out great!

Here's a slight variation on your method. I boil the full volume of wort and dump the whole pot of hot wort into my HDPE bucket fermenter. The boiling hot wort heats the lid of the bucket to over 175F, which sanitized the entire bucket, lid included. It take a long time to cool to pitching temperature and you have to use a sanitizer like Starsan in the airlock as it will suck air through there as the liquid cools. Make sure to have the least amount of liquid in the airlock so it can't suck that back with the air. I've had to leave the wort for 36 hours to cool enough to pitch the yeast.

Don't use this if you have hop additions for flavor and aroma as they will become bittering hops instead. Bittering continues until the wort cools below 170F and the heat will drive off any aroma.

Don't try this with glass or any other clear plastic fermenter as the glass will shatter and the clear plastic fermenters will deform badly.

I agree with the others...as long as you didn't leave it outside, uncovered, under a bunch of oak trees and animals, you'll be fine! Cheers!

Back