Did I over-bitter this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albionwood

Reaction score
Brewed a hybrid California Pilsener yesterday, and am worried about the bittering. I formulated the recipe using BrewPal [Long tedious story about brewing apps deleted] and it calculated 37 IBU, right where I wanted the beer. Then I input the recipe to BeerSmith and Brewer's Friend, and got wildly different numbers: 62 and 60, respectively!

I input the recipe with the actual %AA from the packaging, and checked the boil volumes and gravities. I could have missed something in BeerSmith since I just got it and it's kinda confusing to learn, but Brewer's Friend is a lot easier and it gave essentially the same number.
Specs:
41 liter batch (into fermenter)
OG 1054
56 g Northern Brewer (8.9%) FWH (45-minute boil)
28 g NB 30'
28 g NB 10'
28 g Saaz (3.2%) 10'
56 g Saaz 5'
88 g Saaz whirlpool (added at 80 C, chilled to 65C and held for 15 min)

So which is it? If the bitterness is really that high, I have to brew another batch really quickly.

Update: I went ahead and brewed a second batch, 20 liters with no bittering hop additions at all, to blend with. Meanwhile the first batch went into the fridge for cold-conditioning and fining (with gelatin). Kegged that a couple days ago and it tasted surprisingly good - very much like a Pilsener - only a little too much lingering bitterness. Drinkable for sure, but not quite what I was aiming for.
The blending batch is now cold-conditioning with gelatin. If it's OK (brewday did not go particularly well), I'll do some blending in a couple of days, and hopefully have something decent to serve at an event on the 16th.

So my original question still stands. I don't have the most sophisticated palate in the beer world, but I would have expected 60 IBUs in a 5% ABV Pilsener to be a lot more bitter than what I perceive in this one. To me it's less bitter than, say, Anchor Steam, which I think is around 45.

The calculators for BF and BS both add IBUs for the whirlpool hop addition, even though it was at 150F. My understanding is there should be no isomerization at temps below 174F.

Thoughts?

The best thing to do would be to taste it and see if you like it. I've brewed many Pale Ales/IPAs that came in with an OG between 1.050 and 1.060 with at least 60 IBUs and they've been tasty. Let us know how it goes once you get it packaged!

I’ve given up on IBU calculators. I just go by tasting experience and adjust. Takes time to dial in but in my view hopping has always been the weak part of my brewing process because I relied on calculators instead of my tongue to tell me what was needed.

I’ve given up on IBU calculators. I just go by tasting experience and adjust. Takes time to dial in but in my view hopping has always been the weak part of my brewing process because I relied on calculators instead of my tongue to tell me what was needed.

My mind boggles at the large number of variables involved, but I hear what you're saying. That's why I thought the hop schedule for this beer would be in the ballpark, and why I was surprised at the calculator results. Tasting it, I think it's nowhere near as bitter as I would expect a 60 IBU Pils to be - but maybe my palate has been scorched by all those DIPAs...

Anyway, I have blended the unbitter beer with the bitter beer and made the bitter beer better. At least I think so. We'll see what the audience thinks tonight!

Another thing that comes to mind is hop quality. I think a lot of LHBS stuff is either old or poorly packaged and stored.

I had immediate benefits from buying bulk hops from the current crop year.

For example i used up just about all my hops last week in an ipa (even some German hops). Pretty soon I’ll buy about 6-8lbs of crop year 2018 American hops and another 2-3lbs of German hops when they come available soon. Will hold me over for the year.

Chill time will effect IBU too. I agree with schematic, go by taste. It doesn't really matter which calculator you use as long as you stick with the same one. The calculator provides a baseline that you'll have to calibrate to your own taste.

Back