Did I miss the mark or will it settle out...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
Wondering if this foam will drop back to give me ~5 gallons or if I'm going to come up short?

I'd like to top off now, if I need to...

IMG_1792.jpg

If you leave the inch or so of trub and yeast at the bottom when you rack that beer out of the carboy, you'll definitely be short of 5 gallons of finished beer...

Cheers!

Yeah, I won't be able to suck it all out...but not sure I've ever had an inch of trub and yeast. I rack pretty clean from the boil kettle.

My main concern is OG. Didn't take a reading since it's an extract kit for 5 gal...can't really muck that up if you hit the volume. It has come up to the line now but I'd have rather had it somewhat above.

Since it's up to the line I should be OK, but is there any point where it's too late to add some boiled and cooled top off?

I top up my beers at bottling.

I usually leave bit of beer over the lees and get 4 1/2 gallons. If the beer is a bit thick or strong, i'll top it up. Although i like it how it is most the time, as i like thick beer.

Back