Did I mess up my Erlenmeyer flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machinedrum

Reaction score
IMG_0974.JPG

Life got in the way and I left the flask sitting in PBW for a week. Just tried cleaning it today with a brush and none of this stuff is coming off. I tried another round of PBW and a brush but nothing. It feels grimey and definitely has a texture to it.

Good timing. I just read on this thread, post #716 (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/homemade-pbw-recipe.467655/page-18#post-8545269) "3. PBW won't etch glass or stainless, but it can leave behind silicate scale that is sometimes perceived as etching. The only ways to get that off are abrasion and/or dangerous acids I won't mention here."

I would suggest you reach out to @bplipschitz, and ask at this point what they would recommend, if anything.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Oh wow! I may just go get a new one and chalk this up to a lesson learned and make sure I clean up right away. I’m normally good about it but this was the one piece I let sit. I’m boiling PBW in it right now but I’m not thinking it’s gonna work

Try with a weak acid and let it soak for a long time, it might help.

I think water hardness should play a role in scale formation, maybe you have very soft water?

We’re on well water and it’s a mess. Leaves stains everywhere. That’s most likely part of the problem.
Agreed. You probably already know that but in your case money invested in a water softener would be money very well spent...

Agreed. You probably already know that but in your case money invested in a water softener would be money very well spent...
Yeah, we're renting the house and there is a water softener installed already. We can only use the water for cleaning. If we want to drink it, or cook I have to get it from a water station at the grocery store. In one way it's a drag, but on the plus side I always have RO water on hand for brewing!

I'd do a vinegar soak. PBW is basic. If it put that stuff on, you need an acid to take it off.
Looks like the vinegar soak is working! I emptied the vinegar into a bowl to take a look and it's looking crystal clear again. I put the vinegar back just to be safe, and I'm gonna let it sit a while longer. Thanks so much!

Looks like the vinegar soak is working! I emptied the vinegar into a bowl to take a look and it's looking crystal clear again. I put the vinegar back just to be safe, and I'm gonna let it sit a while longer. Thanks so much!
You're very welcome. On a related note, once a year all my shower heads get pulled off and put in a ziplock bag of vinegar for an overnight soak. The next day they flow like new again!

Back