Did I kill my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB2112

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently brewed up an oatmeal stout. Put in the fermenter and everything was going good. Temperature where I ferment dropped due to cold weather and temp went from 68F to 64F in the fermenter. I turned the heating pad on low, which I rarely have to use, and I forgot about it. The next day, late in the day, the temperature was now at 82F. Going to put into secondary tomorrow. My main question is did I kill my yeast? Will it ferment more in a secondary? Will it even carbonate? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Thanks Max. I called a friend of mine that brews and he said to taste it after the secondary is done.

Don't move it to a secondary, just leave it in the fermenter.

Most people don't use secondaries any more, as it just another chance to ruin/infect your beer.

Thanks Max. I called a friend of mine that brews and he said to taste it after the secondary is done.

It takes temperature up around 140F to kill yeast. They really love temps up to 105F to maybe 110F but you won't like the off flavors those temps would cause the yeast to produce.

Skip the secondary. That is where you have the biggest chance of an infection or oxidation that can "ruin" the flavor of your beer. It will be just fine in the primary fermenter for up to at least 2 months (I've done that) or more.

OK bottled last night. Tasted fine no off flavors. Keeping my fingers crossed and will update in 2 weeks when I try it out after carbonation

OK bottled last night. Tasted fine no off flavors. Keeping my fingers crossed and will update in 2 weeks when I try it out after carbonation
You have decent self control if you can wait 2 weeks to sample. I sometimes make 2 days. At that point it will be undercarbonated and will not form a head, but it gives me an idea of the flavor is should have. After that one beer sample I wait for three weeks to sample again except if it is a porter (2 months) or stout (maybe 6 months) as those beers do better with a longer wait.

OK guys 2 weeks have passed and I tried a bottle. It turned out fine, so fine I had a second one. Thank you all for your input and encouragement that the beer would turn out fine. I greatly appreciate it.

I have a similar question:

I am currently brewing a 5 gallon braggot using Kveik Yeast. OG 1.045. After pitching my batch fell to 66F and fermentation was pretty slow, so I purchased a heat pad and band which got the batch back up to around 90F and it started bubbling away nicely. It stopped bubbling after around 4 days time at which point I took a gravity measure and temperature reading. Gravity was down to 1.000 but temperature was around 110F.

I've read that this particular strain of yeast can survive up to 130F, but I'm trying to work out whether it's consumed all the sugars or whether I've killed it? Fermentation only took a week but for other brewers online appear to take 2 weeks, so is the fact that I've kept it above room temperature contributed to a quicker turn around?

Is it worth leaving it for a another week before moving to secondary or is the fact that it's back down to 1.000 enough to know it's ready to go? I'm planning on introducing some flavours and sugars into secondary, so I'm hopeful that I've not killed the yeast so it can carry on it's work in my demijohn. Fingers crossed.

Back