Did I just keg a bomb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrylotto

Reaction score
I brewed a bourbon stout recipe fermented with Safale S05 that I've made more than once, but I changed my mashing technique a little and noted that the wort was pretty thick. Despite that anecdotal observation, OG was 1.121 (which is actually a little low for this recipe, I've seen as high as 1.129 in the past). Fermentation was temp controlled at 65F and it was active for at least a week. I let it sit for two more weeks and measured the FG at 1.040 - stable for a few days (same reading on 4/23 and 4/26). Past versions of this fermented out to 1.020 but by all appearances this one is done. So, is there a reason to be concerned? I kegged it and put a spunding valve on set to 15 psi for safety - am I being overcautious?

3 days apart getting the same gravity reading makes me think its done . However if your FG was projected to get down to 20 your still a bit high. Maybe it stalled out . My guess is that it should be fine . I think by kegging you should have no worries .

I assume you will be keeping your keg cold, so there shouldn't be any worry about it fermenting any further once it's in your kegerator. That said, how does a 1.040 beer taste? I'm guessing SWEET.

I assume you will be keeping your keg cold, so there shouldn't be any worry about it fermenting any further once it's in your kegerator. That said, how does a 1.040 beer taste? I'm guessing SWEET.
Most of them are sweet unless they plan enough ibus.

All of the trillium, other half, equilibrium, mortalis, aslin, veil, and etc big imperial stouts that have come out in the past year are finishing that or above. I degassed Banniversery by Other Half and it’s fg was 1.058. That said their Ogs are closer to 1.150

Last edited:
My current record is a FG of 18°P (it started just shy of 37°P).

In your case the attenuation is on the low side, especially if the same recipe usually attenuates more. But if you changed the mash regimen in a way that'd drop the fermentability it's not entirely unreasonable. Especially if your yeast pitch wasn't optimal and well oxygenated.

Back