Did i infect my batch with old star san?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFSbrew

Reaction score
I've an imperial Russian stout fermenting for about a week now and I took my first sample last night. I sanitized the turkey baster I used, the bucket rim, lid and even used an isolation mask from the hospital I work at. But when I removed the lid some cloudy star san I had in the airlock dripped into the bucket. I heard that once its cloudy it loses its sanitizing properties. Would that be enough to contaminant my stout? I used fresh solution in distilled water when I took the sample but forgot about the airlock..

It's done for man. Just send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly. :D

You should be good. Have a beer a forget about it.

Cloudy is just an indication that the mineral content of the starsan has changed and is most likely due to alkalinity in your tap water. This doesnt necessarily make it bad. If the pH is still nice and low the starsan still has sanitizing properties.

There was a video on youtube about StarSan lasting more than 6 weeks, cloudy made no difference. My tap water turns StarSan cloudy almost instantly.
Even if it was no longer any good, that certainly doesn't mean it contained anything that would infect your beer.

Back