Did I Have a Leak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libeerty

Reaction score
Alrighty, so I've had a pumpkin conditioning in a keg for about a month or so, waiting for a beer to kick. I hit it with CO2 and purged before I put it aside.

I took it out because one of my kegs is about to kick. A voice in the back of my head then shouted out "What if there was a leak this whole time?" To prove that voice wrong, I pulled the relief valve. Not a sound. Not even a little fart.

Does this mean the CO2 leaked out and oxygen was attacking my beer this whole time? This is my first time using this keg. I checked for leaks when I got it, replaced the O-rings, used lube, etc.

Will I only know after I carb it up and either taste or don't taste oxidization?

Thanks all!

If the keg was not fully carbonated before you set it aside, the beer within will absorb whatever CO2 was in the head space in short order, leaving virtually zero PSI above atmospheric pressure.

So, whether there was a leak or not is essentially irrelevant. But that doesn't mean the beer inside was ever exposed to oxygen. As long as the lid was closed it's unlikely there was any significant ingress of air.

You won't know one way or the other until you get that keg on gas and check it for leaks, but I wouldn't be worried that the beer was affected...

Cheers!

ya itl obsorb most of the first kick of co2. but the problem with corny's is that some of them under a certain PSI loose there seal. i have one that wont seal under about 6 PSI.. so it most likely obsored most the co2 unsealing itself releasing the rest. but its imposible for it to obsorb all of the co2 ..

Back