Did I goof???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogsmith34

Reaction score
My 1st time with an IPA. 6 oz of hops. I put into the primary, and the yeast created such a head by day 2 that it bubbled into the airlock, and out of the airlock hole in the lid. I cracked the lid twice to relieve the pressure, once each on days 2 and 3. I racked it on day 5.
Did I goof with this pressure relief and ruin the batch?

rogsmith34 said:
My 1st time with an IPA. 6 oz of hops. I put into the primary, and the yeast created such a head by day 2 that it bubbled into the airlock, and out of the airlock hole in the lid. I cracked the lid twice to relieve the pressure, once each on days 2 and 3. I racked it on day 5.
Did I goof with this pressure relief and ruin the batch?

When did you add all these hops? Doesn't sound like you waited until fermentation was complete;)

While its fine to sry hop in the primary you need to confirm that all fermentation is done first. IMO it also is beneficial to allow some additional cleaning time and then dry hop, just my .02

You probably didn't hurt anything. Even when you cracked the fermenter to "relieve pressure". As long as the pressure isn't too high to blow your airlock off, pressure doesn't necessarily "hurt" a fermentation, especially in a homebrew setting (it can produce esters and some other flavors, but again, you aren't likely to have this problem at home). If the pressure got up to 5-10psi, then I'd worry. And if you're careful, cracking the lid doesn't hurt the fermentation either, although I try to limit opening it at all if I can help it. There's a blanket of CO2/krausen on top of your fermentation, so as long as you don't do anything too stupid, not much will get in it. If you're just cracking the side of the lid, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Also, use a blowoff hose. You can probably ask just about everyone on this forum; you only have one hellish accident with your airlock before you use blow off hoses for the rest of your life.

As duboman suggested, in the future, wait until your gravity is terminal, and then dry hop. Otherwise, you're getting very little out of the hops.

I added 5 of the 6 hops during the boiling, the last after the end of the boil. What I did to the lid is cracked it to let out the pressure, then sealed it til the next morning, cracked it again, then it sat til tonight (day 5). I am guessing it is fine.
Thanks for the input

Back