Did I get a bad fermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skuhn2004

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I have found these same strips to be very accurate if they haven't been under water to long. They do show the best color when the temperature is an even number degree of temp.
The picture of the strip, from the posted link, shows the strip indicating a temperature of 63°. When the temp is not an even digit, shown by a bright green color, interpolation between the two muted colors is required.
To test your strips lay them out and check them with a known accurate thermometer.

Yeah it sounds like you got a bad one. But yeah check the temp by using a thermometer. Like put a put of warm water and then maybe put the Fermometer strips attached by tape. You can place all three and then measure the water temp while looking at the three strips.
I also have found these to be VERY accurate.

- ISM NRP

Another thing too is that they are really made for glass carboys. Technically they were designed for the use of aquariums to track water temps. I had one on my bucket and found it fairly accurate but remember that plastic isn't a efficient conductor of heat.

~RDWHAHB~

I just got a new one with my BMB and it seems like as soon as it got wet it stopped working.When it fully dried it's a little more readable, but still not where it should be it.

I just got a new one with my BMB and it seems like as soon as it got wet it stopped working.When it fully dried it's a little more readable, but still not where it should be it.

I have heard they shouldn't be submerged. Mine have been wet from cleaning with a wet wash cloth and still work fine, I try to avoid spraying them directly with the hose. At least they are fairly inexpensive.

GO RAIDERS!

They do read much butter on glass. Since plastic is such a poor conductor, there seems to be a a degree or two +\- lag when I tested with just plain water in the bucket and leaving my probe submerged inside the water in the bucket. Still works, just a little slow to catch rising or falling temps.

Back