did I do the right thing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joehova44

Reaction score
Well.... Yesterday, during my brewing session, I made a hard decision to dump about 1/4th of my wort right before the primary... This was a hard choice but at the time I decided it would be better to have some beer than no beer at all. I had squeezed about a 4th of a ounce of star san into the primary because I wanted to make some solution for my spray bottle... Long story short I forgot to make it and then started to pour my cooled wort into the bucket on top of the star san concentrate. I know star san is food grade but was not sure about that much concentrate vs the little foam that normally may be left over. Did I do the right thing or do you think it would have been ok to keep it?

Man, I may be in the minority here but I'd have kept on going with only a quarter of an ounce.

I'd say you did the right thing since you said it was concentrate. 1/4 of an ounce of starsan concentrate makes over a gallon of sanitizer and it is a fairly strong acid. I don't know what your batch size is, but I'd rather not have 1/5 of my wort be acidic sanitizer. Live and learn not to ever make THAT mistake again. :)

Allow me to digress on this. 1/4oz is just a hair more than what is needed to make 1 gallon of starsan. Since 1oz is normally used for 5 gallons,then 3/4oz would be the proper dilution rate for 1G. So in 5 gallons of brew,it might've been ok,since it does break down into yeast nutrient. But what I'd like to know is,how fast does this break down occur?...

Alright, upon further review, I stand corrected. SWMBO typically makes the Star San solution, so I had no idea what the concentration level was. Dump was the call I'd make too.

I was making a pretty strong ale so it worked out ok.
OG (after the waste)for 5 gallons was still 1.085

This will knock me on my butt as is... Just imagine what It would have been full strength!

Def strong ale territory. My 1st attempt at the old #3 Burton ale is in the fridge since last Saturday,no chill haze at all yet! So take heart,by the time it's ready to drink,the starsan may well have broken down into yeast nutrient & helped things along. Here's hoping!:mug:

Yea, but I wanted to be safe and threw that little bit away..Can't wait for it!

Back