Did I burn my grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EHV

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first "real" extract beer. NB's Red Irish Ale. I have a 10 Gallon SS pot and per the directions added 2.5 gallons of water. For a pot this large it doesn't leave much volume in the bottom, therefore, leaving my grains to lay on the bottom of the kettle. I didn't bring it to a boil after the addition because I was afraid of the possibility of burning. I steeped around 150 to 155 for around 20 minutes. I got a coffee smell out of the grains, did I burn them or is this normal? It smelled completely different from what they did when they were dry.
I got a Slobber kit to do next while I am laid up, and don't want to do this again until I know for sure.

You're probably okay, steeping was about right. I used to do 30 minutes when I did extract. Some people who do electric Brew In A Bag (eBIAB) say that they rest their bags on ultra low watt density elements. I remember that NB Irish Red, a coffee like smell is sort of normal if it has roasted barley like chocolate malt or debittered black malt. Keep your fermentation temperatures stable between 64 and 70 degrees, and see how it tastes when it's done. If you scorched your grains you would more likely smell something more similar to smoke or ash.

Also, if you have a 10 gallon kettle, full boils taste better, may as well start with 6 gallons accounting for a 1 gallon or so boil off, your beer will come out better for it.

I wanted to add more water to my pot figuring that would solve the problem, however, I was unsure if the final product would be effected with addition of less water to the finished wort. Great tip there. I appreciate that. I will definitely do it with the Caribou Slobber.

Is there any downfall for it to take awhile to come to a full boil as I have to do this on a Electric Range over 2 burners and it takes forever? I am unable to go outside nor the garage with the burner due to having surgery on my leg. Mobility is hampered greatly.

I seriously doubt you burned the grain from steeping at 150 degrees, likely that recipe has some darker grain that has been roasted, and that is what you are smelling...ok RDWHAHB and cheers!

Is there any downfall for it to take awhile to come to a full boil as I have to do this on a Electric Range over 2 burners and it takes forever? I am unable to go outside nor the garage with the burner due to having surgery on my leg. Mobility is hampered greatly.

Not really, other than your time. It just takes longer to get to a boil. The best idea I heard is to use both big burners with 2 pots get both up to a boil and then combine in the larger (assuming you can go 6 gallons +boil over space, which with a 10 gallon pot, you can). This way you get each up to the boil temp faster and then the one burner was holding it at boil temp.

It sounds like you have a large diameter pot, that is short. Instead of tall and not as large diameter. I think this guy had a tall pot.

As to your flavor - sometimes you get different arromas released from wet v dry and don't worry about it if you pulled the grains before bringing up to boil.

Its a large 10G Polarware pot I had the pot straddled over 2 burners to help the process. I will try the 2 pot method probably tomorrow. I got nothing but time for a few weeks.
Do you guys agree on adding the last additional bit of extract towards the end of the boil due to evaporation or just add it all that the beginning?

The worst part of my situation is my pipeline is dried up. The Mr. Beer kits don't last very long.

Its a large 10G Polarware pot I had the pot straddled over 2 burners to help the process. I will try the 2 pot method probably tomorrow. I got nothing but time for a few weeks.
Do you guys agree on adding the last additional bit of extract towards the end of the boil due to evaporation or just add it all that the beginning?

The worst part of my situation is my pipeline is dried up. The Mr. Beer kits don't last very long.

I just did my first late addition extract, and wished I hadn't. I needed to get it disolved and had my chiller in the way. I had it to do over again, I'd probably flame out, add my ME (dme in my case) and then drop the chiller in. the other way was a $#@%#@ mess...

Extract wont evaporate, its the water that evaporates, makingthe sugars in the extract more desnse. What is the total volume of the batch? Five gallons? If thats the case u'd be better off getting the full five gallons started in the boil, in which case the color of the beer won't become darker as the sugars inside caramelize.

I will take the advice here for my next extract. I'm going to do the 5 to 5 1/2 gallon full boil method since I have the capacity. That will alleviate any worries of leaving grains on the bottom of the kettle. I'm not sure on the evaporation but I'm sure I can get rid of a 1/2 gallon pretty easy. Thanks for the information guys. Very helpful.

Back