Did I beat the bomb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_Stout

Reaction score
Checking on my oatmeal stout bottles this morning and noticed this. I don't remember the "crack" being there when I bottled last Saturday. None of the other bottles have any signs so I placed this one in a plastic storage container with lid.

P1080007.JPG

I'd throw this bottle out and check a couple of the others for signs of overcarbonation. It's not fun when they blow up.

Have you had any other bottles crack or explode since?

Not yet. All the other bottles looked okay this morning and I've never had a bottle crack or explode on me. This one I think may have just been a damaged bottle. Didn't notice anything with them before bottling so I guess I'll just keep tabs on them daily.

How can you tell if they are over carbing in the bottles? Open one up?

They just barely have any sediment in the bottle so far.

Not likely an over carbonation issue at only about one week.

Probably just a stress crack during the process.

Bottle bombs usually occur when:
  • You've racked the beer to bottles way too early and they're still actively fermenting.
  • You've added way too much priming sugar.
  • The bottles have slight more fermentable sugars for priming than they should, but sit around for months/years and eventually crack.
  • The bottles are conditioned/stored in excessive heat.
  • An infection has started and you have a rogue fermentation taking place.

Pop one of the other bottles and check...but unless one or more of the above conditions exist, they likely are fine.

Not likely an over carbonation issue at only about one week.

Probably just a stress crack during the process.

Bottle bombs usually occur when:
  • You've racked the beer to bottles way too early and they're still actively fermenting.
  • You've added way too much priming sugar.
  • The bottles have slight more fermentable sugars for priming than they should, but sit around for months/years and eventually crack.
  • The bottles are conditioned/stored in excessive heat.
  • An infection has started and you have a rogue fermentation taking place.

Pop one of the other bottles and check...but unless one or more of the above conditions exist, they likely are fine.

I'm thinking you are right. I used the recommended amount to prime like I normaly do, FG was at 1.013 and temps have been good. I still plan on checking a few every day to see. If I open any it will be the one with the crack and will be another taste test if nothing else.

Just a bit jumpy I guess. I didn't notice that on the bottle the other day either. It's the odd one out of a batch of 49 bottles so it's not in a case or six pack.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back