Diatomaceous Earth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uechikid

Reaction score
I know that there a some here who use Diatomaceous Earth as an insecticide. Do you use the stuff you get in the pool section of OSH or is there something different? I was told by a gut that the pool DE was harmful to people because of the way it's processed.

I have been looking into this also for fleas. Bad flea season in California this year. I don't have an answer but would be curious to see what people say.

BTW - Sluggo Plus works great for most things that attack my hop vines. Safe for pets also.

I always thought it was the same stuff.

It works on some bugs by them getting it on them and then cleaning themselves, but will not work on all bugs.

The stuff from the pool store is not food safe but it doesn't matter one bit for your purposes. They use the same stuff (only food grade) as a filter for fryers and there is nothing in there that will hurt you.

It works on slimy crawlers because it cuts through their skin. It certainly won't hurt your plants UNLESS there are other chemical additives. If it includes chemicals, I would pass or buy just straight diatomaceous earth. BTW, it's made out of the skeletons of tiny sea creatures so it is very organic. :D

BTW, it's made out of the skeletons of tiny sea creatures so it is very organic. :D

I new that. :)
The guy that told me not to use pool DE also said that the pool DE will hurt you if you breath it. I you suspect that any DE will hurt you if you breath it.

Not recommended for soil anymore as it kills off worms ... I was going to use it for slugs but was talked out of it..

I new that. :)
The guy that told me not to use pool DE also said that the pool DE will hurt you if you breath it. I you suspect that any DE will hurt you if you breath it.

Yes, it is not good to breath because it will cut up the soft tissue of your lungs just like it cuts of the slimey creepy crawlers. :D

I got a bunch of it for under $10 at lowes or home depot or something like that. I think it was in the garden section near the other insecticides.

It was a few years ago now though.

Latest posts

Back