Diastatic power and yield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geobotsar

Reaction score
Hi, i have been malting my own barley for 2-3 months now. I came to understand that since its undermodified, it does not have enough diastatic power to convert itself. Does this also mean that it has less starches to be converted and therefore lower yield;
Also if the malt i buy has enough diastatic power to convert 2 times the amound i use, is it safe to assume that i would get the same yield by using 4 kilos bought malt or 2 kilos of bought malt + 2 kilos of barley? This would have a large impact on flavor profile ?

Hi, i have been malting my own barley for 2-3 months now. I came to understand that since its undermodified, it does not have enough diastatic power to convert itself. Does this also mean that it has less starches to be converted and therefore lower yield;
Also if the malt i buy has enough diastatic power to convert 2 times the amound i use, is it safe to assume that i would get the same yield by using 4 kilos bought malt or 2 kilos of bought malt + 2 kilos of barley? This would have a large impact on flavor profile ?

Too little hard info and too many assumptions here. Are you sure it is under-modified? If so you can adjust your malting schedule to increase modification. The diastatic content is related to although not a linear function of modification. It is strongly associated with the overall protein content of the strain of barley used as is the overall starch content. Flavor is also very dependent both on the type of barley used and how it is malted and kilned.

Back