Crisp malts diastatic power

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Halfway down the page you linked to is an option to download a full set of their data sheets.
Screenshot_20221111-085646_Chrome.jpg

Halfway down the page you linked to is an option to download a full set of their data sheets.View attachment 785992
I've downloaded that pdf, but seems to contain the same information that's already on the webpage, I cannot find the diastatic power there either. Where you able to find the DP in the data sheet, if so could you tell me where?

Thanks, Roger.

Last edited:
Isn't it right there on the page? Both online and the download. They label that line as Extract.

lintner.png

L° in this case is Lintner not Lovibond.

But I might be wrong. This is new stuff for me.

Isn't that the potential rather than the diastatic power? Also 300L would be a huge diastatic power, six row (which has a very high diastatic power) is supposed to be ~160.

Maybe is that value, but needs some kind of conversion?

Not really from their website but when I plug it into brewerfriend it lists DP as 60. I imagine that’s fairly close
A92BAE52-511E-4F76-8147-68E1CD6A9FE1.jpeg

Thanks. The software I use to brew shows 62, which is reasonable, but also reports 62 for all Crisp Ale malts. Wanted to know if someone had a data sheet from Crisp that contains the value, or knows where to find it for other Crisp malts.

Like I said, I'm very new to even wanting to think about diastatic power since I typically only use already made recipes and hopefully their author knew this stuff.

However the number 306 might actually be WK (Windisch-kolbach) and if you apply the conversion to DP = (306 +16)/3.5 then you get 92 which is in the ballpark of pale ale malts I think.

Their extract value does appear to be a different number than what I'm use to seeing on the USA grown malts I've been using. Crisp is in the UK.

Hopefully someone that knows will see this and set us straight.

Like I said, I'm very new to even wanting to think about diastatic power since I typically only use already made recipes and hopefully their author knew this stuff.

However the number 306 might actually be WK (Windisch-kolbach) and if you apply the conversion to DP = (306 +16)/3.5 then you get 92 which is in the ballpark of pale ale malts I think.

Their extract value does appear to be a different number than what I'm use to seeing on the USA grown malts I've been using. Crisp is in the UK.

Hopefully someone that knows will see this and set us straight.
I think it's unlikely for that be value to be related to diastatic power, flaked torrefied oats have 292 L°/kg, but it's diastatic power should be 0. Thanks for looking though!

Hello,

I seem to be unable to find the diastatic power of Crisps malts from their website, for example:

https://crispmalt.com/malts/extra-pale-ale-malt/
Does someone know how/where to get the diastatic power for their malts in degrees Lintner?

Thanks, Roger.
Crisp has an application which you can use to scan a QR code on the bag for the malt. This app will return the data for that lot of malt and I believe it include the DP.

https://crispmalt.com/quality-malt-guide/

Crisp has an application which you can use to scan a QR code on the bag for the malt. This app will return the data for that lot of malt and I believe it include the DP.

https://crispmalt.com/quality-malt-guide/
Thanks, I don't have any bag of malt from them, but I guess I could ask my supplier to scan it in order to get the figures. I still find it weird that knowing the DP requires you to have a bag of malt, I would expect min and max values to be available publicly.

Thanks, I don't have any bag of malt from them, but I guess I could ask my supplier to scan it in order to get the figures. I still find it weird that knowing the DP requires you to have a bag of malt, I would expect min and max values to be available publicly.
I expected it differs from lot to lot and that may be why they don't publicly put it on the website. Modern malts generally tend to be highly modified and don't have trouble with conversion, so not something I really am ever concerned about.

May I suggest you email Crisp? They might provide some insight on your particular concerns.

Back