Diagnosing a taste I don't like. Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugrad02

Reaction score
About two or three years ago I decided that I wanted to start brewing Belgians and only Belgians. I brewed them all. Dubbels, Tripels, quads, blonds, saisons etc. A few were great but most fell short. I became discouraged trying to figure out why certain beers tasted off to me to the point that I almost quit brewing altogether. Was it my brewing water? Yeast health? Sanitation? Was it astringency? Bad technique? What was it? I decided to move on to other styles and made some really great beers.

Yesterday I grabbed a sixer of New Belgiums Tripel from my local grocery store and lo and behold, there was that same taste that plagued my brewing ventures. I would describe the taste as a tonic water like dryness that hits the sides of my tongue and distracts me from all the other goodness of the beer. I hate tonic water. I despise the stuff. What causes this taste?

Is it just part of the style? Is it a Belgian yeast byproduct that I am sensitive to or have become sensitive to? Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you all in advance.

Back