Diacetyl Rest Temperature and Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When and waht temp for diacetyl rest?

• 60 degrees at end of fermentation

• 60 degrees after fermentation is 3/4 complete

• 67 degrees at end of fermentation

• 67 degrees at end of fermentation

Results are only viewable after voting.

Spartan1979

Reaction score
I've got a Maibock fermenting with 2206 at 50 degrees. I'm finding conflicting information on what temp and when do a diacetyl rest. I used this yeast many years ago without a diacetyl rest and the beers were find, but I did an Oktoberfest earlier this year and it suffered from diacetyl.

BTW, the fourth choice is supposed to be "67 degrees after fermentation is 3/4 complete"

I brewed a Vienna and a Bock earlier this fall. I didn't do a diacetyl rest with either and both turned out fantastic. I've read that a diacetyl rest isn't exactly necessary but doesn't hurt either.

If you build up a large enough starter ( many liters, about 5-9) and pitch colder than your ferm temps you shouldn't have to worry about diacetyl, but I am sure that you can raise it up to 67 and be good at the end, just don't rack off your yeasties before your rest (duh)

I would raise it 10 degrees higher than fermentation temperature (or even a bit more) when fermentation is nearly complete. You don't wait to wait until fermentation is completely over, as you want to encourage the yeast to keep working (that's what digests the diacetyl) when the fermentable sugars are gone. Raising the temp when the beer is 3/4 of the way to FG is a good way to do it.

I try to raise the temp as fermentation slows down. From the time I pitch to the time I start lagering I never want the temp to go down, just up. 60-65 is a good ending temp.

Unless it's the only beer in a temp controlled fridge I don't really have that kind of control. Now I'm lagering out in my brew shed in water baths. The temp is consistently 48-52F. It's in there until I think it's slowing down then moved into the house at 60-70F. That's just about always 10-15 points above FG.

Fourth option for me. D-rest around 1.020; just take it out of the ferm chamber and leave it at room temp for a few days to a week, depending on when I have the time to get to it.

Did my first Dortmunder Export today. Expecting good things from it. Also racked a couple of lagers to kegs today; a German pils that has been lagering for over 10 weeks and a Bohemian pils that has been lagering about 8 weeks.

Back