Diacetyl rest on secondary pitch in saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
yooo.

So a little over 2 weeks ago I made a saison on the strong side (about 1.068 og)
I pitched the WL565 saison which is notorious for not attenuating past low 70%.

I got the beer down to about 1.022 and made a small starter of 001 to finish it off a few days ago. After about 12 hours the beer hit a secondary high krausen from the 001 and is still bubbling a little bit (haven't taken a new gravity reading yet) My question is this:

would you conduct another diacetyl rest for the 2nd fermentation with the cal ale even though it was only dropping it another 12 or 13 points probably by the end of it. Just curious if you guys thought that a yeast that doesn't produce much diacetyl (001) would need a rest with such a short and small 2ndary fermentation.

thoughts?

What temps are you fermenting at?

I've never had problems with 565 gettin down to 1.002-05 ish...
I usually start around 67 and everyday I raise a 1 or 2 degrees til I hit 90. That yeast likes it hot.
Post your recipe please..

Hey man.

Started around 66-67 as well. Ramped it up to about 80-82 by day 5. Was still going but realllllllllly slow.
Don't have my beersmith on this comp, but from what i rememeber my recipe was this.

9.5 lbs pilsner
.5 lbs vienna
.25 lbs honey malt
2.5ish lbs of wildflower honey
1oz sterling 8.2% aa at 60
1oz sterling 8.2% aa at 15
fermented with a 1 Liter starter of the 565
added 500ml starter of 001 to finish off.

Everyone I've talked to or read about always says how finicky the 565 is, I've never ramped it up as high as 90, usually around low to mid 80s'.
Even on the WL website it says that a lot of people finish with a secondary yeast since that yeast likes to stall out after around 70% attenuation or so.

whatdya think.

Yeah. Here's the quote from the WL website.

WLP565 BELGIAN SAISON I YEAST
Classic Saison yeast from Wallonia. It produces earthy, peppery, and spicy notes. Slightly sweet. With high gravity saisons, brewers may wish to dry the beer with an alternate yeast added after 75% fermentation.

Note to brewers: This strain tends to stall out in fermentation and then restart as long as two weeks later. Make sure the wort is well-oxygenated and allow the temperature to free rise in order to ensure complete fermentation. Some brewers add WLP001 to finish

othevad said:
Hey man.

Started around 66-67 as well. Ramped it up to about 80-82 by day 5. Was still going but realllllllllly slow.
Don't have my beersmith on this comp, but from what i rememeber my recipe was this.

9.5 lbs pilsner
.5 lbs vienna
.25 lbs honey malt
2.5ish lbs of wildflower honey
1oz sterling 8.2% aa at 60
1oz sterling 8.2% aa at 15
fermented with a 1 Liter starter of the 565
added 500ml starter of 001 to finish off.

Everyone I've talked to or read about always says how finicky the 565 is, I've never ramped it up as high as 90, usually around low to mid 80s'.
Even on the WL website it says that a lot of people finish with a secondary yeast since that yeast likes to stall out after around 70% attenuation or so.

whatdya think.

I guess I've been lucky with 565..

Looks like a solid recipe.. especially with the 2.5 of honey..should be dry.

Imo, I woulda have waited a little bit longer than 2 weeks before I pitched 001..
565 will sometimes stall out then bounce back up as long as the temps are warm and don't fluctuate..

Yeah,

I wanted to keg it by this coming Monday, so I was trying to rush it through the end a bit.
Otherwise I would have just set it and forget it.
Next time I use it, I might pitch at an even higher rate and let it go to a higher temp than the low 80's I usually get it to.
I've definitely heard of some breweries rocking their saison yeasts up to as high as 94/95 (which seems so messed up in my brain)
So maybe I'll just look for a hot streak of weather coming up and toss it in the garage hah.
thanks

Back