Diacetyl in Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcm114

Reaction score
So I took a sample of my Helles today which has been in secondary (spunding) for about a week. The gravity at transfer was 1.013, and today it was 1.011 and carbonated nicely. I've been ramping the temp down slowly to keep the yeast in suspension, and it appears to be working. Today the temp was at 40F. I was aiming for 34F in another couple days where it would sit for the next 3-4 weeks.

Anyhow, when I pulled the sample the diacetyl was like a punch in the face. Pure buttered popcorn aroma and flavor.

I used S-189 (for the first time), 2 packs rehydrated for a 5 gal. batch.

I don't think a diacetyl rest would help at this point, but I'm not sure exactly what should be done. Here are the options I've thought of so far:

1) Krausening. Make a new starter and pitch it into the keg. Healthy active yeast should clean it up.

2) Re-pitch a different more cold-tolerant and/or less flocculent yeast strain. Something more Bavarian, maybe what I should have used in the first place...

3) Do nothing, just wait. Maybe this is typical for this strain of yeast? I want to lager it for a few more weeks anyway. Just give it a chance to clean itself up?

I'm leaning toward a combination of 1 and 2. I'll make a starter with a different yeast strain and pitch that. Unless someone can convince me that S-189 just needs a little more patience.

Sounds like you haven't done a d-rest. Definitely raise the temp to 60-70 for a d-rest for a few days - that very well could solve the problem.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then #1 might work, #2 won't, #3 will probably help if you give it enough time.

I'd add some krausen and wait. Temp should be at 50F or above until the diacetyl is gone. You don't HAVE to raise it warmer than that, but it will take longer at lower temps and be quicker in the 60s. Wouldn't go higher than 62ish with new yeast just in case it decides to get unruly.

Latest posts

Back