Dextrose is good to take after working out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acumen

Reaction score
In my ongoing theme of exercise related threads (see https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/co2-fermenters-possible-health-effects-111096/ ) I thought I would point out that dextrose is a recommended post workout source of carb's and is packaged as such in many health/vitamin stores.

Since I can't help but be reminded of candy cigarettes every time I taste it and have it on hand for brewing, I have added it to my exercise routine.

Dextrose is another name for glucose, the quicker picker upper. It's the basic sugar molecule metabolized by the body.

Indeed. After vigorous exercise, the body's glycogen reserves are seriously depleted, and if you can bump it back up quickly (within 30 minutes of stopping exercise) recovery time is drastically reduced. I noticed a pretty big difference after long bike rides (3+ hrs) if I used some type of recovery drink. My current favorite is Endurox R4, but that's just because I got a big jug of it for cheap. :) Glucose is glucose.

Some points from my understanding of this:

1. Dextrose is indeed Glucose and although it helps to take it post-exercise, it is all the more important to take it WHILE exercising. It will prevent glycogen depletion during exercise and prevent what is known as a "bonk". Most major market sports drinks (Gatorade, Powerade, etc) contain Dextrose as their primary carb source.

2. Some folks don't like Dextrose in their sports drink because it causes insulin spikes and burns too quick giving you cycles of high/lows during exercise. However, maltodextrin is glucose containing chains of sugars that digests more slowly to provide a more even/consistent carbohydrate source.

MacBruver...your Endurox R4 actually contains Maltodextrin, not dextrose. Most higher-end sports drinks contain maltodextrin or some mix of maltodextrin and dextrose. Maltodextrin is especially important for endurance athletes as +3hr rides with Dextrose containing Gatorade doesn't work out so well!

3. For recovery, its more important to have something containing protein as well as some carbs, instead of just carbs. Dagatris chocolate milk is a great/cheap option, and the current trend is to put protein into sports drink to take during exercise. The jury is out on if this really helps though. Long story short: for recovery...you want protein as well as some carbs.

Back