Determining Even Carbonation/Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyc88

Reaction score
Hey,

If I don't know the exact amount of beer that's in my fermenter is it okay to add the priming sugar after the beer is transferred to the bottling bucket (the bucket has indicator's to gallons on the side)?

Usually I would pour the sugar then rack on top of it, but I want to get the appropriate amount for the amount of beer this time. But i'm worried if I add it after I transfer the beer i'll either get uneven carbonation, or risk aeration by stirring and mixing it in.

I always add sugar after racking the beer to the bottling bucket. It is simple: boil your sugar and water together, let it cool for a few minutes, then dump it into the full bottling bucket. Sanitize a long stir spoon (the one used for your boil kettle) and just give the beer a few nice, GENTLE, stirs so as not to aerate the beer. I get great results every time with no aeration. Just be gentle and it will mix in nicely.

If you add it after transferring to the bottling bucket I would definitely stir it before bottling. I often stir mine in the bottling bucket very gently with a sanitized "big spoon" and haven't suffered any adverse effects so far. And, just to be certain as you didn't mention it, you are dissolving your sugar in water before adding to the bottling bucket right?

If you add it after transferring to the bottling bucket I would definitely stir it before bottling. I often stir mine in the bottling bucket very gently with a sanitized "big spoon" and haven't suffered any adverse effects so far. And, just to be certain as you didn't mention it, you are dissolving your sugar in water before adding to the bottling bucket right?

Yes, I do dissolve it into hot water.

Thanks for the responses.

Mattyc88 said:
Hey,

If I don't know the exact amount of beer that's in my fermenter is it okay to add the priming sugar after the beer is transferred to the bottling bucket (the bucket has indicator's to gallons on the side)?

Usually I would pour the sugar then rack on top of it, but I want to get the appropriate amount for the amount of beer this time. But i'm worried if I add it after I transfer the beer i'll either get uneven carbonation, or risk aeration by stirring and mixing it in.

Gently stir and your beer should be ok.

Latest posts

Back