Determine style based on numbers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcGuay

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I know it's possible for software like Beersmith to tell you if your ingredients and method match your chosen style or not, but is there a tool available that can do the reverse, where you enter the OG, FG, IBU, SRM, etc and it tells you if it matches a particular style?

Thanks
Marc

The problem is that numbers are not enough info to determine style, as evidenced by the fact that you can find a bunch of different styles that share the same specs. Color is only minimally helpful as you could concoct numerous different ingredient combos to achieve the same color but with very different flavors. Yeast character plays a huge part and changing yeast could completely alter the style. That list tells also you nothing about hop flavor and aroma, or additional ingredients like spices, fruit, etc. Unfortunately I don't know of any tool that actually lets you plug all that in and spits out a style. You can always post a recipe here though and tap the collective wisdom. :)

Righto, thanks! I suppose a calculator of this kind could tell you "You're weird beer that brewtoad.com lied to you about indicate that it could be one of these many styles...".

Back