Designing a Ekeggle system and curious about filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangecrusher

Reaction score
I've rounded up parts to construct a single tier, two vessel, K/Rims or Rims system(haven't decided yet) using two Sanke Kegs.

My question and something I don't see anyone talking about in my research is how to keep junk from circulating through the system and causing problems either with flow or burning on an element. Maybe this is not as big an issue as I'm making it? I'm just seeing trub gumming up the works especially if a plate chiller is used or (like me) using the filler neck of the sanke keg as your output (inverted kegs) which will make whirlpooling or whatever ineffective. Is there some technique or devices electric brewers are using to keep particles from travelling through their systems and causing problems?

I'm considering working on an e-keggle system (moving from my outdoor propane keggle system). My plan is to bottom-drain the MLT and HLT, but side-drain the BK and use a trub dam.

evidently no one ever has an issue with plumbing getting stuck. That's good.
Thank you for replying Fuzzybee, I also considered going with a side drain on the brew kettle. I already have fittings for a bottom drain on both but I suppose there are more plusses for a side drain than bottom?

Bottom drain the mash tun but work in a grain bed setting recirculation back to the top of the mash before you divert wort to the boil kettle.

I would use both a bottom drain AND and side mounted pickup tube on the boil kettle. When you're running the kettle RIMS, I would draw from the bottom to send to the mash. After the boil, I would use the edge pickup for the run off to the fermenter after adequately whirlpooling. Then you'd use the bottom drain again during cleaning.

Bottom drain the mash tun but work in a grain bed setting recirculation back to the top of the mash before you divert wort to the boil kettle.

I would use both a bottom drain AND and side mounted pickup tube on the boil kettle. When you're running the kettle RIMS, I would draw from the bottom to send to the mash. After the boil, I would use the edge pickup for the run off to the fermenter after adequately whirlpooling. Then you'd use the bottom drain again during cleaning.

Thanks for the tips Bobby.

Back