Desiccant for Large Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
Does anyone use a desiccant in their keezer?

I used to have a small kegorator and a small keezer. The keezer always had big issues with condensation. I just got a big deep freeze that I’m going to turn. As I’m thinking through the build, I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions for condensation management.

I like the eva-dry models.

They pull moisture and you plug them in to dry them out so they can be reused for a long time.

fwiw, I use a pair of the Eva Dry 500 model with 40mm fans attached. This model holds up to ~ 4 ounces of water and takes around 12 hours to "recharge". Without the small fans I was not impressed with the performance at all.

In this old thread I was using salvaged 60mm fans which were huge overkill. Awhile later I found the 40mm fans in my junk collection and switched to those instead...

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I also started thinking about literally putting a dehumidifier in there. Its a big keezer, and would have the space. Something like the below link. Anyone run a dehimidifier inside a keezer?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078YB4ZFJ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Have to be careful with dehumidifiers, as if the ambient temperature is too low, they will not work. I use a small closet version when I am fermenting, but it does not work at serving temperatures as the freezer walls go to a colder temperature than the condensation plates in the dehumidifier.

Have to be careful with dehumidifiers, as if the ambient temperature is too low, they will not work. I use a small closet version when I am fermenting, but it does not work at serving temperatures as the freezer walls go to a colder temperature than the condensation plates in the dehumidifier.

Gotcha. That makes sense. Sounds like a desiccant is the way to go.

I love this stuff. I have a decent size chest freezer that I temp control and use as a cellar for aging beers. Was having to take everything out and dry up the 1/8” of water covering the bottom every couple months. I poked a bunch of holes in a lid and filled a 16oz mason jar. lasts about 6 months before needing to refill or recharge (can bake the stuff and reuse it). Zero moisture issues now. Crazy simple and extremely effective. Also color changing so you know when to replace or recharge. And it is a lot of it for the price. Made a jar for my buddies keggerator, my gun safe, my dad’s gun safe, my ammo safe, and a couple smaller packets and still have about 1/4 of the tub left.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G5NTCWW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Back