Desert Brewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForeverYoung

Reaction score
OK,

So I finally received my wonderful release papers from Uncle Sam and headed down to the Southwest. I have done two brews up here in AK and have been pampered with areas 60-64Deg to set my Primary up in. Are there any desert brewers here and can you tell me your techniques to battling the 110 Deg weather? Am I going to be destined to DIY a fermentation cooler? Also, anyone in Southern AZ have any favorite LHBS that would not mind an OCD newbie constantly asking questions when he makes the AG jump?

Also, I think my first batch will have to be a mead I saw in complete homebrews companion book in celebration of my 10 year absence from the Desert (Prickly Pear Cactus Mead). Thanks in advance.

Not sure where in the Southwest you're heading but greetings from Tucson. There's a great store here in town (Brew Your Own Brew - http://www.brewyourownbrew.com/ ) that can help you out. There's also a fairly active club that I haven't had time to be involved in.
The hot temps can put a damper on things, I tend to just ferment in a closet& it stays around 70. A small chest freezer with a temp controller is a common item around here.
If there's anything you need you can hit me up.

Jason

I use a frig I got for free off of freecycle with a temp controller. Before I got the frig, I mainly just put the fermenter in the closet where it pretty much stayed at the same temp as the rest of the house. I used an ice bath a couple times.

Brew Your Own Brew is pretty good, although it seems like there have been some newer guys in the store since the store in Phx opened. I haven't asked these newer guys many questions.

I used to just keep my house cool with a swamp cooler on the roof. But I've moved into my fiance's house and she has no air conditioning at all. I'm hoping to be able to just continue brewing in the closet. If that is too warm I may just bring my fermenters to the local brew pub. They have offered the temp controlled room to our local brew club. I'm also considering the Son of Fermentation cooler but would like to avoid another DIY project for the time being. I too have been a bit worried about how I'm going to ferment this summer.

Back