Deschutes Schwarzbier Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrjones89

Reaction score
I have not brewed this, but based on what I could find on online and my own perceptions, this is what I came up with. If you've had the beer, please critique accordingly!

5 gallon batch

Grainbill
5 lb Avangard Light Munich
5 lb Briess Pilsen
8 oz Briess white wheat malt
8 oz roasted wheat/midnight wheat
6 oz US chocolate malt
2 oz roasted barley
1 oz black barley

Hops
0.5 oz 60 minutes - Northern Brewer @ 9% AA
0.5 oz 20 minutes - Norther Brewer @ 9% AA
1.0 oz 10 minutes - Tettnang @ 4% AA

Danstar Diamond Yeast

Stats:
OG 1.056
FG 1.013
ABV 5.9
IBU 31.1
SRM 34.9
BU:GU 0.55

Rationale:

I compared this brew to Kostritzer Schwarzbier and Sprecher Black Bavarian (I have had 3 cases of the former, and 1 case of the latter). I get more chocolate notes from this than SBB, and less roastiness. I was intrigued by the use of wheat malt, which I do not pick up on per flavor, but definitely contributes to head retention and body. Deschutes appears to be darker than both. Bitterness is on par with SBB. Deschutes is definitely drier than SBB, but not as dry as Kostritzer - so I would pin the FG at around 1.014ish, which is a happy median between 1.010 (Kostritzer) and 1.018 (SBB). I have brewed a ton with Northern Brewer, which I am guessing is being mostly used for bittering, with Tettnang for aroma, albeit the hop character is subdued by the roastiness, making this beer seem more balanced.

So that's it. I'm curious what others think. Please chime in if you have had these beers.

Back