Deschutes I.P.A. Foray help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty476

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. I am a relatively new homebrewer, I started in January with extract kits from the LHBS, upgraded to a BIAB set up in May. I have lost count by now, but I would say I have brewed about 20 different beers so far. In this time I have fallen in love with IPAs. So far all my recipes have used either Wyeast1056 or US-05, they have been great for nice clean beers. After trying Deschutes IPA Foray, I really want to brew it. The Belgian yeast adds a subtle green apple and pear flavor that really compliment the citrus flavors of the hops. This is the description they have posted online:

Malt: Pilsner, Carapils
Hops: Nugget, Amarillo, Mosiac, CTZ, Galaxy
Other: Belgian Yeast Strain

I have no idea how to turn this into a recipe... Im guessing something around 11 lbs pilsen malt, 1/2 lb carapils.

As for the hopping schedule I was hoping y'all could help me out here. I know Nugget is for bittering, but of the rest of the hops, I am only really familiar with Amarillo. Any suggestions ?

Finally the yeast...I don't know how to say this without offending some, but...I have never been a fan of the flavor Belgian yeasts bring to the table. That being said, this beer does not taste like a Belgian at all, just a very smooth aromatic IPA.

I have looked around online, and searched the forums, but I can't find anything specific about this beer. I appreciate any help y'all can provide, even if it's just speculation.

Thanks!

Never had it, but knowing Deschutes it's probably delicious. A shot in the dark here, I've only used Mosaic and Amarillo before ONE time:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 9.50 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.37 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.08 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.63 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 55.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.6 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.3 %
3 lbs Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 18.8 %
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 3 31.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Mosaic [12.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 4 8.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 11.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 4.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

Thanks for the recipe! I will definitely have to give it a try this weekend. Any idea what kind of yeast they are referring to? Or something that will give a similar profile? The closest thing I could find is WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast, but that's English Yeast, not Belgian.

More than likely Deschutes has their own proprietary yeast, idk if using yeast from their bottles would work (some companies use different yeasts to bottle condition). My best advice, or at least what I would do, is brew the batch, and then split it into two fermentors, and pitch one with a belgian yeast like WLP400 (White Labs Belgian Wit) or WLP410 (WL Belgian Wit II) and then the other with maybe that english yeast or a nice west coast east, this way, if the belgian yeast ruins the beers flavors, you have half a batch that is still good! With all this said and done, plenty of companies have made "Belgian" IPAs, using american ingredients and a belgian yeast, one I've had from experience is Cali-Belgique (sp?) from Stone, and it was pretty good.

I hope this helps, be sure to post the final recipe and tasting notes when you're all set. Good luck! :tank:

Alright, so it is finally ready. I ended up using Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale Yeast. The yeast leaves a distinct flavor, that seems to emphasize a malty character, probably better for an English IPA. It's still an awesome IPA recipe. The galaxy gives a bit of an apricot flavor. I am going to brew this exact same recipe again next with US-05. Still no idea how to get that green apple flavor with a nice crisp profile. Thanks again for the recipe, its a bright west coast IPA with citrus and apricot flavors. I really like it.

So I think the funny flavor was a hint of diacetyl. After bringing the beer up to room temp (75*F) after bottling conditioning (66*) the off flavor subsided, and gave way to a very citrusy double IPA. I love it.

Latest posts

Back